Diamond Energy was founded in early 2004 by two basketball
and engineering teammates, Tony and Mark, who had the vision to ‘generate
change’ through building renewable energy sources that will replace coal and
gas. Both left careers in oil & gas to build a company whose goal is
to deliver more power from renewable generators than the total amount used by
Our first biogas site commenced operation in 2007, with our first customer getting supply in the same year. Since then we continue to own more renewable power generators and support a wide range of renewable energy projects. Our focus is on sourcing energy from Australia’s pure natural resources and delivering them to our customers, big or small in communities right across Australia. The company has been ranked as one of Australia’s greenest electricity retailers by the Green Electricity Guide since the very first guide in 2009.
Who’s invested in Diamond Energy?
Our future means we are all invested in Diamond Energy’s success, our company is 100% independent of any fossil fuel influence, with our Australian management and employees owning more than 80% of the company shares.
We actively invest any profits back into Australian renewable energy projects, which over the nearly 20 years of our history have ranged from biogas, solar, battery and wave projects.
We are a stand-alone, independent private company with only the two Australian executive directors (Tony & Mark), who together with other employees own over 82% of the company shares. The remaining 18% is owned by a subsidiary of the Hanwha Group, a Global Fortune 500, who is the owner of QCells, the world’s largest solar panel producer, they do not hold any control, voting rights, options or board seats.
Powershop’s sale to Shell is an amber light to electricity customers, that is non cooperative and lowers renewable energy uptake momentum. This hurts the environment in victoria and the broader environment across Australia, we need to get up and deliver power to the ever more desperate energy locals.